Did you know that heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States? Heart disease kills more women each year than all cancers combined. The American Heart Association sponsors a campaign called “Go Red For Women” and today is “Wear Red Day”.
Go Red For Women encourages awareness of the issue of women and heart disease, and also action to save more lives. The movement harnesses the energy, passion and power women have to band together and collectively wipe out heart disease. It challenges them to know their risk for heart disease and take action to reduce their personal risk. It also gives them the tools they need to lead a heart healthy life.
Some of the wonderful women of Inner Door Center® showed their support in the fight against women’s heart disease by wearing red today! Check us out!
Here are some great ways to take care of your heart:
- If you smoke, quit! And stay away from secondhand smoke.
- Drink in moderation. (If you don’t drink, don’t start.)
- Exercise 150-300 minutes per week.
- Take time out to de-stress – meditate, practice yoga, write in a journal, take a nap, listen to music, etc.
- Choose heart healthy foods – fruits and veggies, fiber-rich whole grains, lean meats & poultry, fat-free or low-fat dairy products, and broiled, baked, grilled, steamed or poached foods versus fried fhttp://www.goredforwomen.org/index.aspxoods.
You can learn more about lowering your risk at http://www.goredforwomen.org/index.aspx. Tell five of your loved ones today that heart disease is the number one killer of women and spread the awareness! Betty White did… sorta!