If you walk into any clothing store right now, you are bound to find hundreds of the shortest shorts, bunches of itty bitty bikinis, and other articles of clothing meant to barely cover your unmentionables. That’s right… everyone is prepping for spring break and summer 2012! It’s hard not to walk by those clothes and think “Well, I definitely can’t wear that.” Or, “Yeah right, only if I were thinner or tanner or fitter…”
Those are the kinds of thoughts that can lead you to the destructive downward spiral of dieting. And for some people that dieting can spin out of control. Sometimes it is hard to see the line between “just another diet” and disordered eating. What starts as a simple idea with good intentions to become “healthier” can sometimes make you sicker.
This year, Inner Door Center® is taking a pledge, and we urge you to join us. We encourage you and your loved ones to embrace your natural shape and size. To only say kind things about your body. To make self care and relaxation – not dieting and working out – a priority for Spring Break 2012. You can take this pledge here and please share it with your friends and loved ones.
Recognize the warning signs that a simple “pre-Spring Break diet” has gone out of control. These are just a few – you can read more at http://www.something-fishy.org/isf/signssymptoms.php:
– Obsession with counting calories/fat grams/carbohydrate grams/etc.
– Obsession with continuous exercise.
– Frequent trips to the bathroom immediately following meals.
– Use of diet pills, laxatives, diuretics (water pills).
– Unusual food rituals, such as moving food around the plate to make it appear eaten, or picking apart food into small pieces.
– Isolation, especially when eating.
– Extreme weight loss or weight gain.
If you or someone you love is exhibiting these behaviors please seek help – we are here at Reconnect with Food® at Inner Door Center® to provide support and treatment for eating disorders. Visit our website to learn more about our programs.